- Recipe: Beef Wellington
- Recipe: Sous-Vide Glazed Lobster Newburg With Samphire, Gnocchi And Wild Mushrooms
- The Christmas Chef: 5 Menu Items Diners Want This Festive Season
- The Christmas Chef: How To Bring Out The Best Of Your Seasonal Vegetables
Recipe: Sous-Vide Glazed Lobster Newburg With Samphire, Gnocchi And Wild Mushrooms
“For me, this sort of dish at Christmastime would be a fabulous dish. It’s a little more luxurious… beautiful colours, beautiful textures, beautiful flavours, very rich, and very, very tasty.” – Pallas Foods Chef Simon Hudson
A Christmas food menu is all about delicious decadence, something which this lobster classic just oozes, mouthful after tasty mouthful.
The core ingredients of lobster, samphire, wild mushrooms, gnocchi, and chilli are finished with a shellfish reduction sauce consisting of both sherry and brandy, for that extra little punch of festive flavour.
- 1 Rougie whole shelled lobster left in vac pac (FS1028Z)
- 10g chopped shallots (VW801)
- 2 cloves, chopped garlic (VP351)
- 30g butter (DY141)
- 50ml brandy (AL300)
- 100ml shellfish stock/bisque
- Pinch cayenne pepper (35014)
- 200ml double cream (DY231)
- 50ml whipped cream (DY200)
- 75ml hollandaise sauce
- 50g samphire (478925)
- 50g wild mushrooms (476172)
- 50g gnocchi (71063)
- 1g chopped red chilli (VW658)
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley (HB583)
- For garnish, chervil sprigs (476243)
- Set sous vide temperature to 56 degrees.
- When up to temperature add lobster and cook for one hour.
- In a heavy-bottomed sauté pan add half of the butter and sweat off half of the chopped shallots along with half of the chopped garlic.
- When starting to brown move to the side of the stove and add in the brandy and sherry, place back onto stove and flambé reducing the cooking liquid by roughly a half.
- Add in the shellfish stock and cayenne pepper and again reduce, add in the cream and leave to simmer until a sauce consistency is achieved and strain into another pan.
- Add the whipped cream and hollandaise and gently fold through, check seasoning.
- In a nonstick pan add the rest of the butter, garlic, shallots and red chilli heat until starting to go brown.
- Add in the gnocchi, wild mushrooms and samphire and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add parsley and check seasoning.
- Place the samphire mushroom mix neatly in a bowl place the lobster claws either side and carve the lobster tail on top of the mix.
- Spoon the sauce over both the tail and the claws (it should be quite thick) and glaze under a salamander/grill until nicely coloured.
- Garnish with some sprigs of chervil.
For more recipes from our team of experts, click here.