Recipe: Vegan Pecan Chocolate Brownie
“Because veganism has become so popular now, it’s very important that hotels, restaurants and cafés have a tasty vegan option on their dessert menu.” – Matthew Matthews, Bakery and Pastry Specialist at Pallas Foods.
Providing sweets, cakes, and pastries that don’t rely on a variety of dairy products to make can be a tricky task, even for the most talented chef. Step forward the vegan pecan chocolate brownie, complete with vegan chocolate mousse and served with non-dairy blueberry ice-cream!
A wide range of vegan products are pulled in here to create this dish, from vegetable margarine and pecan nuts to oat milk and even tofu – it’s the perfect showcase to what smart vegan baking can achieve, and your customers are sure to appreciate every bite.
70% Dark Chocolate Brownie Ingredients
- 450 g 70% dark chocolate (ct967)
- 140 g chickpea juice (pu347)
- 400 g caster sugar (Sg179)
- 230 g veg margarine (z529004)
- 4 tbsp vanilla extract (t962)
- 190 g Miller’s Best Self-Raising Flour (490050)
- 60 g cocoa powder (R92)
- 2 tsp baking powder (35023)
- 50 g pecan nuts (Nu107)
- Vegan non-dairy blueberry ice-cream (491447)
- Finishing sugar (T197)
Vegan Chocolate Mousse Ingredients
- 600 g Blue Dragon Firm Silken Tofu (127135)
- 200 g 70% dark chocolate (ct967)
- 40 g agave syrup (4915)
- 60 g Alpro Oat Milk (dy519)
Chocolate Gray Garnish Ingredients
- 150 ml of water
- 300 g sugar (sg179)
- 200 g 70% dark chocolate (Ct967)
70% Dark Chocolate Brownie Method
- Melt chocolate in a bowl
- Whisk the chickpea juice with 200 g of sugar until firm and foamy in a mixer.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth, add in vanilla.
- Add the firm fluffy chickpea foam/ cooled melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together.
- Fold in the above dry ingredients to the wet mix. Be careful to not over mix.
- Pour mixture into a greased baking tray/ mould, smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 25 mins approx. at 160°C.
- When baked allow to cool before portioning to the required size.
Vegan Chocolate Mousse Method
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave dish.
- With a stick blender combine the tofu and maple syrup.
- Add the melted chocolate and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for an hour approx. to set.
Chocolate Gray Garnish Method
- Bring the sugar and water to 160°C on a sugar thermometer – remove from heat.
- Slowly drop in the chocolate chip and keep stirring to form a clay effect texture.
- Spread out on parchment paper and allow to cool fully.
Assembly and Plating
- Cut Brownie to the required size.
- Using a piping bag and nozzle, pipe on top of brownie slice.
- Use red currents to garnish.
- Sprinkle with finishing sugar.
- Put a chocolate strip on a plate and place brownie portion on it.
- Scoop vegan non-dairy blueberry ice-cream on top of chocolate clay.