- The Christmas Chef: 8 Pitfalls To Avoid In Your Seasonal Vegetarian Offering
- Recipe: Seared Clonakilty Black Pudding with Pear Fritters and Honey
- Recipe: Spiced Apple Frangipane Tartlet
- Recipe: Pan-Seared Breast Of Wild Irish Woodpigeon
Recipe: Black Treacle Cured Atlantic Salmon
Seacuterie is an exciting new trend, which at the moment is in its infancy in Ireland. It involves the curing of fish, packing them with as much flavour as possible, and serving it on platters perfectly suitable for sharing.
As Pallas Chef Patrick Clement says: “Rather than use smoked salmon, which you get everywhere, have something different like the black treacle salmon.”
This particular recipe is a sweet and tasty salmon dish, perfect served alongside a fresh salad, especially in the summer months.
- 2kg side of salmon (FS249)
For the salt marinade:
- 1000g of sugar (G141)
- 500g of flaky sea salt (SP148)
- 500g of coarse sea salt (SP246)
- 2 lemons, juice and zest (FW611)
- 4 oranges, juice and zest (FW605)
- 10g of coriander seeds (Y181)
- 5g of fennel seeds (PU304)
- 15g of white peppercorns
For the treacle cure:
- 500g of black treacle (Z229017)
- 250ml of soy sauce (16285)
- 60g of fresh ginger (VW764)
- 10g of red chilli (VW757)
- 60g of lemongrass (HB572)
- 80g of coriander stalks (HB578)
- 8 lime leaves (FW687)
For the lemongrass and ginger puree:
- Pickle ginger (OR223)
- 1 lemongrass stalk (VW764)
- Lime juice (FW689)
- Mix together all the salt marinade ingredients to form a paste. Separate 320g of the mix and set aside for use in the treacle cure. Rub the remainder of the marinade all over the salmon and leave in the fridge for 1 day.
- The next day make the treacle cure. Chop all the dry ingredients, then add all of the wet ingredients and the 320g of salt marinade and combine. It may help to warm the treacle slightly to make it easier to work with.
- Wash the salt marinade off the salmon and pat dry. Place the salmon into the treacle cure and cover. The salmon will need to be cured for 4 days, turning daily.
- For the lemongrass and ginger purée, roughly chop the lemongrass and pickle ginger and leave in a covered bowl with half of the ginger syrup from the jar in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
- Blend the lemongrass and ginger mix until smooth in a food processor. Pass through a sieve and transfer to a squeezy bottle season with lime juice to your taste.
- Serve with a fermented fennel salad and celeriac salad horseradish cream garnish with baby leaves.
For more recipes from our team of experts, click here.